ABC Proposes New Pay Offer to Staff Following Strike
The Australian Broadcasting Corporation (ABC) has introduced a new pay offer to its staff following a 24-hour strike that took place last week. This move comes after several rounds of negotiations between the ABC and unions representing its employees.
Negotiations and Updated Offer
The ABC managing director, Hugh Marks, met with delegates from the Media, Entertainment & Arts Alliance (MEAA) and the Community and Public Sector Union (CPSU) this week. The discussions were facilitated by the Fair Work Commission. As a result of these talks, the broadcaster released an updated pay offer on Tuesday. This new proposal includes additional provisions aimed at ensuring staff can progress through pay bandings, which is a key concern for many employees.
The offer also increases pay above inflation for the first year of a three-year agreement. Unions had previously criticized the earlier offer as being insufficient, as it did not keep pace with inflation. Marks had defended the previous offer, which included a 3.5 per cent pay rise in the first year and 3.25 per cent in the following two years, stating that it was financially responsible and aligned with industry standards.
Key Details of the New Offer
According to an ABC spokesperson, the new agreement features an annual pay increase of 4 per cent in the first year and 3.25 per cent in each of the second and third years. It also includes back pay for the first full pay period after 1 October 2025. Other elements of the offer include clearer progression pathways between pay bands, targeted performance bonuses, retention of existing promotion provisions, and enhanced leave entitlements.
Michael Slezak, co-chair of the MEAA National House Committee and president of media at MEAA, stated that the union will now present the updated offer to its members for a vote on Thursday. He expressed confidence that the offer would be endorsed, although it does not fully address all the union’s demands.
“Although it doesn’t cover everything we asked for, it addresses the key claims that MEAA has been fighting for,” Slezak said. He highlighted the need to resolve structural issues such as the inability for journalists to progress through pay bands and the misuse of short-term contracts at the ABC.
Union Reactions and Continued Efforts
Slezak commended the ABC for engaging in the negotiations, though he noted that the initial offer could have prevented the strike. “It was a shame that they didn’t come to the table with an offer that could have averted strike action,” he said. However, he praised the staff for their courage in walking out of work to demand better conditions.
Jocelyn Gammie, the CPSU’s ABC section secretary, echoed these sentiments, stating that the union would recommend the updated offer to its members. She acknowledged that while not all issues were resolved, there was significant progress on pay and progression.
Remaining Concerns and Future Bargaining
Despite the positive developments, some concerns remain unresolved. For example, clauses protecting journalist jobs from artificial intelligence (AI) were not included in the latest offer. Slezak expressed disappointment but emphasized that the MEAA will continue to advocate for these changes in future negotiations.
Other aspects of the previous offer, such as a $1,000 bonus, have been removed in the updated proposal. The strike, which was the first for the ABC in two decades, lasted 24 hours and involved more than 1,000 journalists and staff walking off the job.
Impact of the Strike
The strike prompted ABC managing director Hugh Marks to apologize to audiences. During the walkout, the ABC broadcast BBC content, re-runs, and statements from federal parliament members to fill the programming gap. Youth broadcaster triple j switched to a pre-prepared music playlist, while nightly news bulletins and the flagship current affairs program 7.30 did not air on Wednesday evening. ABC News Breakfast was also not broadcast on Thursday morning.
The strike followed a previous vote on an Enterprise Agreement, where 75.6 per cent of staff participated. Out of those, 60 per cent voted “No,” falling short of the required number for acceptance by 395 votes.






