Former NRL Enforcers Set to Clash in the Ring
Two of the most feared players in the history of the National Rugby League (NRL) are set to put their fists where their mouths have been for months. Nelson Asofa-Solomona and George Burgess, former enforcers known for their physical presence on the field, will now face off in the boxing ring on June 24. The announcement came during the NRL Magic Round, a high-profile event that brought together fans, players, and media.
Asofa-Solomona, who played 215 games for the Melbourne Storm before leaving the club last year, has built a reputation as one of the toughest players in the game. Burgess, on the other hand, concluded his rugby league career in 2022 after playing 149 games for South Sydney and an eight-game stint in the Super League. Both players have had long and storied careers, but their rivalry has taken a new turn as they prepare for this unusual showdown.
The fight was officially announced on Saturday, and the atmosphere at the event was electric. Tensions were evident as both men stood face-to-face during the launch, with fans and media eagerly anticipating what promises to be one of the biggest crossover fights in rugby league history.
A History of Conflict
The feud between Asofa-Solomona and Burgess has been simmering for months, with reports from Fox Sports first hinting at the possibility of a boxing match in January. Now, the two are set to settle their differences in the ring, with both fighters showing no signs of backing down.
Asofa-Solomona has not forgotten an incident that occurred after his first professional boxing victory. He recounted the moment to Fox Sports, describing how Burgess tried to steal the spotlight after his win.
“I remember exactly what happened after my first fight,” Asofa-Solomona said. “I’d just had my first professional win, and was trying to celebrate with my family and my people. But George decided that was the moment to jump in, start carrying on and try to make the whole thing about himself.”
He added, “I took that personally. I haven’t forgotten it, and he’s going to have to answer for it now. He’s been talking for months, questioning me, questioning who I’ve fought and acting like I’m some sort of fake.”
Asofa-Solomona also made it clear that he is ready for the fight, stating, “Once the bell rings … this isn’t a footy field, and this isn’t Hollywood. There’s nowhere to hide in there, and no one is coming to save you. He wanted my attention, and now he’s got it. On June 24, I’m going to make him regret stepping in front of me that night.”
Burgess Stands His Ground
Burgess, never one to back down from a challenge, responded to the news with confidence. He acknowledged Asofa-Solomona’s reputation but insisted that the fight will reveal the truth.
“Nelson’s built this image around being the scariest bloke in the room,” Burgess said. “But on June 24, we find out what happens when someone the same size finally stands in front of him and fires back. I’m going to knock out the hype-train.”
This fight marks another unexpected venture for Burgess, who has been exploring life beyond rugby league. Recently, he has turned his attention to acting under the guidance of Hollywood star Russell Crowe. Burgess is set to appear alongside Crowe in the upcoming MMA film ‘Beast’, further showcasing his desire to expand his career beyond sports.
What to Expect
As the date of the fight approaches, fans are eager to see how the two former enforcers will perform in the ring. With their history of on-field clashes and off-field tensions, this matchup is expected to be intense and highly anticipated.
Both fighters have shown that they are ready for the challenge, and their words suggest that the fight will be more than just a sporting event. It is a personal battle that has been building for months, and now it is finally set to take place. Whether it ends in a knockout or a draw, one thing is certain: the boxing ring will be the stage for a memorable showdown between two of rugby league’s most iconic figures.






