Craig McRae Defends Collingwood’s Approach to Pendlebury’s Milestone Game
Craig McRae has firmly rejected the idea that Collingwood targeted West Coast as an easy opponent for Scott Pendlebury’s record-breaking AFL match. The Magpies’ coach emphasized that it would be “pretty naive” to suggest the team had chosen the 15th-placed Eagles as a convenient choice for the milestone game.
Pendlebury is set to play his 433rd game when Collingwood hosts West Coast at the MCG on Saturday. This will come after he missed two of the last three rounds, including a draw against Hawthorn and a narrow loss to Sydney. However, Pendlebury had been instrumental in the Anzac Day win over Essendon, which highlighted his importance to the team.
McRae has consistently supported the management plan for the 38-year-old veteran, despite criticism from fans and pundits. He pointed out that the club’s strategy was focused on ensuring Pendlebury could reach this milestone without risking further injury.
“We set a plan in place around what Pendles’ milestone could look like,” McRae said. “We’re not crystal-ballers, we can’t predict the future. There’s so many things that have to go into getting here to this game.”
He added that the decision to rest Pendlebury was based on managing his health, particularly his Achilles and other parts of his body. “If we put him out there he might’ve done his Achilles or more,” McRae explained.
McRae also dismissed the notion that the club had any specific targets in mind when planning the game. “There’s never been a target of certain individuals or competition. That’s pretty naive,” he said.
The coach refused to comment on whether the criticism surrounding Pendlebury’s management was fair, stating that he prefers to focus on performance rather than external judgments.
“I’m not here to judge fairness. I actually say to my little girl, ‘Life’s not fair, so get ready for it’,” McRae said. “So I don’t live in that space. We’re here to high-perform and let the other part be the other part.”
Controversial Exchange with Brodie Grundy
McRae also addressed questions about his boundary-line exchange with Sydney ruckman Brodie Grundy during a recent match. The incident, which occurred in the immediate aftermath of the game, has sparked debate about whether coaches should interact with opposition players on the field.
Both McRae and Grundy initially stated that there was “nothing untoward” in the exchange. However, the incident has led to speculation about the appropriateness of such interactions.
McRae declined to elaborate on what was said, stating that it was a personal moment. “I can’t articulate what I said because it was a personal thing. For me it was just a moment in time and we keep moving,” he said.
He added that he has a strong relationship with Grundy, having coached him when he first entered the league. “I’ve got a really strong relationship and great respect for Brodie. There was nothing untoward.”
When asked if he had reached out to Grundy since the incident, McRae responded, “Is it that big an issue, is it? No, I haven’t, but I might actually now. I might reach out to Brodie and just make sure he’s OK.”
Coaching Style and Future Plans
McRae remains committed to coaching from the boundary line, where he feels a stronger connection with his players. “I love coaching from the boundary. There’s a real connection to the players there,” he said. “I feel there’s an energy for me on the boundary line with the team and an ability to instantly react to situations in the game.”
Meanwhile, McRae hinted that there may be some news regarding premiership forward Bobby Hill, who is expected to miss another VFL game this week. Hill has not played an AFL match since August due to personal issues and leave periods.
Despite the challenges, McRae remains hopeful that the 26-year-old goal-sneak will return to action at some level this year. “I’m hopeful he’ll come back to action at some level this year,” McRae said. “He’s got a partner expecting a baby soon, so it’s a big time for him.”







