News  

Lyon Updates on Marshall’s Injury and Voss’ Role in Wilkie’s Case

St Kilda Fans Breathe Easier as Key Player’s Injury Not Serious

St Kilda fans have reason to feel relieved after coach Ross Lyon addressed concerns about a potential long-term injury to ruckman Rowan Marshall during Friday night’s match against Fremantle. Marshall left the field late in the game following what initially appeared to be a leg injury, but Lyon confirmed that it was only a minor knock to the shin rather than any structural damage.

“No knee, just into the shin,” Lyon said during the post-game press conference. “That’s what (Marshall) told me, but we’ll wait till it cools down. I thought (Jack) Higgins was fine the other week but then he wasn’t ideal. I spoke to him and spoke to his family just for a casual chat and they were like, ‘No, it’s his shin,’ so I think he will be fine. I was never overly concerned. No one has flagged anything.”

This reassurance came as a relief to supporters who had been worried about the impact of the injury on the team’s performance. Marshall, a 30-year-old key player, is an essential part of the Saints’ strategy, particularly in the ruck contests, and any prolonged absence would have been a significant setback.

Another Player Injured in the Match

In addition to Marshall, another key defender, Dougal Howard, also went down with an injury during the game. The veteran player suffered a calf strain, and the club plans to send him for scans to determine the severity of the injury and assess his timeline for return to play. Howard, who has been a reliable presence on the field, is expected to be a crucial asset for the team moving forward.

The club will monitor his condition closely and provide updates once more information is available. For now, the focus remains on ensuring that both players receive the necessary care and time to recover fully.

A Competitive Tussle Between Voss and Wilkie

One of the most talked-about aspects of the Saints-Dockers match was the intense battle between Fremantle forward Patrick Voss and St Kilda defender Callum Wilkie. The two players were involved in a constant tussle throughout the game, with Voss scoring three goals and being assigned to defend against Wilkie after a successful performance in a similar role against Hawthorn skipper James Sicily a fortnight earlier.

Lyon described some of the actions between the two players as “bizarre,” noting that the early stages of the game were particularly intense. “The first 30 seconds was a bit bizarre, really, but I’ll leave that,” he said. “There was an umpire right there, but that’s okay. We’re all big boys and we love a competitive spirit, but I’m not the umpire.”

He added that while some of the interactions may have seemed questionable, they were within the laws and spirit of the game. “If they don’t pay it, it must be within the laws and the spirit of the game, so that’s okay.” Lyon also praised Wilkie’s ability to adapt and perform under pressure, saying, “I thought Wilkie sort of got to work… the exits, rebounds, and all that. In the end, I think it became a non-issue. I thought it was a bit of a floor show, but each to their own.”

Looking Ahead

With both Marshall and Howard set to undergo further evaluation, the Saints will continue to monitor their progress and ensure they are fit for future matches. The team’s ability to handle such challenges will be critical as they aim to maintain their position in the league and build momentum heading into the next season.

For now, the focus remains on recovery and preparation, with the coaching staff confident that both players will return to action in due time. The competitive spirit displayed by Voss and Wilkie also highlights the intensity of the game, which is a testament to the high level of play in the Australian Football League.

Tinggalkan Balasan

Alamat email Anda tidak akan dipublikasikan. Ruas yang wajib ditandai *