Laurie Daley’s Health Transformation and NSW Blues’ Origin Strategy
NRL legend Laurie Daley has made significant changes to his lifestyle, shedding 8kg after quitting alcohol due to health concerns. The 56-year-old, who is widely regarded as one of the greatest players in the game during his 13-season stint with the Canberra Raiders, has also improved his diet following a warning from his doctor about potential serious health issues.
Daley’s weight had climbed close to 100kg before he decided to stop drinking. He revealed that the decision was prompted by a medical alert that he was at risk of developing concerning conditions. Since then, he has managed to lose weight and now weighs less than when he played for the Raiders, where he featured in 246 games and represented NSW and Australia.
“My wife has asked me not to lose any more weight because she said it makes my nose look bigger,” Daley joked, highlighting the lighter side of his transformation.
These health improvements are expected to benefit Daley as he prepares to coach the NSW Blues in their quest for revenge against Queensland following last year’s series loss. The first match of the interstate rivalry is set to take place on May 27.
“It took me a couple of weeks to get over it [the 2-1 loss]. We know what we did wrong and we have learned from it,” Daley said. He is now focused on determining the team lineup, with the final selections due to be announced on Monday.
Key Players and Squad Selections
Latrell Mitchell caused some concern for the NSW camp when he suffered an injury in Souths’ loss to the Dolphins on Friday night. However, the Bunnies star is still expected to be selected despite his back issue. The expanded six-man bench provides cover for Mitchell should he need to sit out training sessions.
Zac Lomax’s code switch and injuries to Jacob Kiraz, Tom Trbojevic, and Mark Nawaqanitawase have left the Blues short on elite wing options for Origin I. Josh Addo-Carr is seen as a strong contender alongside Penrith ace Brian To’o. The 30-year-old has enjoyed a revival since joining the Eels in 2025, earning selection in all three matches of Australia’s 3-0 Ashes whitewash last year.
After the final day of Magic Round on Sunday, Daley will need to decide whether to hand the fullback spot to incumbent No.1 Dylan Edwards or former Blues captain James Tedesco.



Emerging Talent and Team Building
Jackson Ford, Addin Fonua-Blake, and Ethan Strange are among those being considered for Origin debuts. A wealth of talent has given Daley several options as he looks to build the best possible team.
He is currently evaluating which two of Hudson Young, Haumole Olakau’atu, Angus Crichton, and Jacob Preston should start in the second row. Manly powerhouse Olakau’atu has made a compelling case for a NSW recall, with speedster Tolutau Koula providing a timely reminder of his capabilities in the Sea Eagles’ 46-18 victory over the Wests Tigers on Saturday.
Olakau’atu has been in career-best form and delivered a fearsome performance on the right edge, terrorizing the Tigers’ defense in what was a near-perfect display at Suncorp Stadium. It seems likely that the towering second-rower will soon add to the two State of Origin matches he played in 2024.
“I don’t think he can do any more. Haumole has been outstanding the whole season and our near-best player each and every week,” said Manly coach Kieran Foran, expressing his admiration for Olakau’atu’s consistent performances.


“It was a great effort from the guys. They set the game up in the first 20 minutes, physically. There was plenty of intent and they got the reward.”






