sport  

Storm Eyes Billy Slater as Coaching Successor

Potential Coaching Transition at Melbourne Storm

Speculation has been growing that Billy Slater, a legendary figure in the Melbourne Storm, may take over as head coach following Craig Bellamy’s tenure. Slater has demonstrated a strong coaching record, including three series wins with the QLD Maroons since his appointment in 2022. He has won seven out of 12 games as the Maroons’ head coach and has reportedly begun discussions about his long-term future.

During an episode of Triple M’s Beau, Cat & Woodsy, the radio team discussed whispers that Storm officials have spoken with Slater about potentially succeeding Craig Bellamy as a long-term coaching option. An anonymous source revealed, “I’m hearing in recent weeks, Melbourne Storm officials have spoken with Billy Slater about taking over as head coach when Craig Bellamy decides to officially step away.”

Former NRL players Beau Ryan and Aaron Woods weighed in on the situation, highlighting the uncertainty surrounding the club’s future. Ryan asked, “How long does Craig have left?” Woods responded, “He just signed for two years at the start of the season.” Ryan added, “But there’s been a lot that has unfolded in Craig’s life over the last six months.”

Woods continued, “There has been. Obviously, Melbourne will work around Craig and what the doctors say. Billy has been earmarked for years, hasn’t he?” Ryan praised Slater’s impressive NRL career with the Storm, where he played 319 games, scored 190 tries, and tallied 760 points in his 16-season run.

Regarded as one of the best fullbacks of all time, Slater also played 31 games for Queensland, 30 Tests for Australia, four premierships (two stripped), and a Dally M Medal in 2011. Ryan questioned why Slater would walk away from his current position at Nine and Origin coaching, given the success he has achieved in both roles.

“Bill Slater is a genius. We know what he did on the field, and we’ve seen what he’s done as Queensland coach. Why would he take on a head coach role when he’s got the Queensland Origin job?” Ryan added. “He does a little bit at Melbourne [Storm] on his own terms… and then he’s got his job at Nine. How would you step away from that? It’s got to be lucrative.”

Despite these discussions, there has been no official confirmation from the Storm regarding the matter. Long-term Storm teammate Ryan Hoffman previously claimed that Slater would not take on the head coaching role. During an appearance on Zero Tackle’s The Boardroom NRL Podcast, Hoffman stated that Slater’s commitments outside of the Origin window may interfere with an NRL coaching gig.

“A lot of people have tossed up Billy Slater’s name as a head coach, but I know for a fact Bill will not be a head coach,” Hoffman said. “Look, I think Bill loves coaching, and he gets to scratch that coaching itch for three games of the year. But he’s got so many other interests outside with his horses, his Channel Nine (job).”

Hoffman and Slater played 233 NRL games together, achieving great success on the field, with 21 finals matches played together. “I don’t really think he wants to set himself up for pretty much 11 months of the year, having to work so hard, to be quite honest,” Hoffman said with a smile.

“I’ll tell you a funny story, I was talking to Michael Maguire’s wife last year after the Grand Final, I went and saw her and said congratulations, she goes ‘Geez, I liked it so much better when he was an Origin coach because it was only three games.’ So it’s the stress on the family and everything too, compared to a 26-game season plus finals, compared to a three-game Origin series.”

After suffering seven losses in a row, the Storm bounced back with a 44-16 thrashing over the Wests Tigers on Mother’s Day. They will continue to build on their season comeback when they face the Parramatta Eels on Saturday at Magic Round.

Tinggalkan Balasan

Alamat email Anda tidak akan dipublikasikan. Ruas yang wajib ditandai *