Andrew Johns’ Support for Nathan Cleary’s Potential Move to Warrington
Immortal Andrew Johns has expressed his strong belief that Nathan Cleary would be a perfect fit for Warrington in the Super League. He has even had discussions with the club’s owner, Simon Moran, about the possibility of Cleary making the move.
Cleary’s future beyond 2027 has become a topic of much debate within the NRL. The star player has not rushed to make a decision, especially during the Origin series. He has also mentioned that his partner, Mary Fowler, who plays for Manchester City, would be an important factor in any decision he makes.
Johns, who previously played for Warrington, believes that Cleary’s signing could bring significant benefits to the club and the game in England. “Simon Moran would move heaven and earth for Nathan to go over there,” Johns said. “I’ve spoken to Simon, and he has met Nathan a few times after tours. He would do anything in his powers to get him over there.”
He added, “I’ve mentioned that to Nathan. He would be incredible [in the Super League]. There’s your marketing tool. Everywhere he plays it would be a sellout. I’d love to see him go over and play for Warrington.”
While NRL clubs cannot approach Cleary before November 1, there is no restriction on Super League clubs making an offer.

Perth Bears’ Travel Proposals
At the recent CEOs meeting, the push by the Perth Bears for travel concessions was barely mentioned. However, one of the highlights was Wests Tigers’ interim chief Shaun Mielekamp criticizing RLPA boss Clint Newton when his speech on intellectual property became too lengthy.
The Bears are set to enter the competition next year, and to ensure they are competitive from the start, officials in the west will finalize a list of travel proposals this week. They hope rival clubs and the NRL will not oppose these proposals.
Currently, the NRL covers flights, two nights’ accommodation, and breakfast for up to 28 players and staff when they travel interstate. Any additional players or staff, or extra nights, are covered by the clubs themselves.
Perth is requesting that the NRL cover three nights’ accommodation to help players adjust to sleep patterns, especially due to the time difference between Perth and the eastern states. If the Bears have consecutive games in Sydney, they will ask the NRL to cover the week’s accommodation, which they claim would be cheaper than paying for another set of flights.
The idea of extra flights for young players and their families could also attract more players to join the Bears. Sources point out that a similar arrangement already exists in the AFL for first-year players.
“The AFL rule applies to first-year players, and the way we see it, all our players will be in their first year playing for Perth,” a source said.

Todd Payten’s Future at the Cowboys
Despite the Cowboys winning seven of their past nine games, Todd Payten remains without a contract beyond this season. This masthead asked David Myles, the former Cowboys player and chairman of the football club board, about any potential new deal for Payten, but he provided little information.
If the Cowboys continue their winning form, pressure will mount on the club to act. Players were in good spirits early on Sunday at the Stock Exchange Hotel, including Reed Mahoney, whose popularity has followed him from Belmore to Brisbane and beyond.
Costumes and Fan Culture at Magic Round
During Magic Round, fans showcased some incredible costumes and wigs. One standout was a Manly fan wearing Jake Trbojevic’s bubble-like headgear. Meanwhile, Roosters fans made light-hearted fun of Daly Cherry-Evans, which left some fans behind them in a difficult position.
Xavier Coates’ Visit to Broncos Training
Melbourne and Kangaroos flyer Xavier Coates was spotted at Broncos training on Saturday, but it had nothing to do with a potential return to his old club. Instead, Coates presented his younger brother Phil with his debut jersey, as the 19-year-old played on the wing against the Warriors on Sunday.
Xavier, who received his own debut jersey from Broncos legend Mick Hancock seven years ago, said he is expected to return to the Storm in the next month as he recovers from an Achilles injury.
Payne Haas and Liam Martin’s Recovery
The sight of Payne Haas moving well at Brisbane’s captain’s run on Saturday gave Laurie Daley some comfort. Although Haas will miss Origin I due to a knee injury, Broncos coach Michael Maguire confirmed that the prop is likely to return in round 13 against the Dragons, five days after Origin I, and well before teams are picked for game two.
Liam Martin also traveled to Brisbane to train with some of the Panthers’ NSW Cup players and is a big chance of overcoming his own knee injury and being available for Origin II.






