A Controversial Finish and Aftermath
Hearts have reached out to the Scottish Football Association (SFA) and the Scottish Professional Football League (SPFL) in a bid to get clarity on how last weekend’s title decider against Celtic ended so abruptly. The match, which saw Celtic clinch the championship with a 3-1 victory after Callum Osmand scored deep into stoppage-time, was marred by a mass pitch invasion that left many questioning the decision to end the game early.
The incident occurred as Hearts players were confronted by a large number of Celtic fans who stormed the field following the dramatic goal. This chaotic scene led to one of the most controversial finishes to a season in Scottish football history. Despite there being around 30 seconds left on the clock plus any additional stoppages, the SPFL has stated that referee Don Robertson blew the final whistle to conclude the match.
Hearts are not letting this matter slide. They are now demanding answers from the governing bodies and have expressed concern that a troubling precedent may have been set. The club argues that the duration of a match should be determined by the officials, not by the actions of fans on the pitch.
In addition to their concerns about the match ending prematurely, Hearts also took issue with comments made by Martin O’Neill, the manager of Celtic. O’Neill dismissed claims that the post-match scenes had embarrassed Scottish football, calling them “nonsense.” He also downplayed allegations that Hearts players had been assaulted, labeling them as “hyperbole.” However, Police Scotland is still investigating the events of the day.


A statement from Hearts read: “Heart of Midlothian Football Club would once again like to thank our incredible supporters for their magnificent backing throughout this season, and to provide an update in relation to the events which unfolded at Celtic Park on Saturday.”
“The club is investigating events before, during and after the match, and will offer Police Scotland our full support as they continue with their enquiries. We have also written to the SFA and SPFL setting out our observations and questions regarding the circumstances surrounding the premature ending of the match.”
“We have expressed our concern that a troubling precedent has been set whereby a pitch invasion can effectively determine the duration of a football match, rather than the match officials. We have asked them for a prompt response to the points we have raised.”
“The incursion of spectators on to the field of play must never be condoned under any circumstances, and the seriousness of the potential consequences must be fully understood by supporters and clubs alike.”

Earlier in the week, O’Neill gave an interview where he criticized the notion that the post-match scenes had brought shame to Scottish football. He also dismissed any claims of assault on Hearts players as exaggerated. Meanwhile, Hearts investor Tony Bloom claimed that some of the club’s players were “assaulted” during the chaos.
Bloom, who invested £10 million into Hearts in return for a 29% stake, told talkSPORT that the safety of the players was compromised. He added that the situation was completely unacceptable and that the authorities would be looking into it.

Hearts led the Premiership from September but fell just short of a first league title since 1960 when Celtic secured victory in the closing stages of the final game. Bloom’s Jamestown data analytics company helped build a squad that came close to ending 40 years of Old Firm dominance.
When the Brighton owner got involved in Hearts, he said it was a long-term project to win the league and has vowed that the club will return stronger next term. Bloom described the weekend as devastating but emphasized that the team must look forward to the future.
“A report also emerged yesterday that questioned whether Hearts could have a problem on their hands next season in UEFA competitions with regards to dual ownership rules. Bloom also owns Brighton and has a stake in Belgian club Union Saint-Gilloise, both of whom will play in Europe next season.”
“There is no official link between the three clubs other than the fact they all use Jamestown data and analytics to inform their recruitment. Hearts are comfortable with their position and the club say they have been given assurances by UEFA that Bloom’s involvement ‘does not create an issue’.”






