sport  

Eagles Thrive in Friday Night Lights Surprise

West Coast Embraces Prime Time Fixtures

West Coast has found itself in an unusual position this season, with two Friday night matches scheduled as part of the AFL’s round 16 to 22 fixtures. This unexpected opportunity has been welcomed by coach Andrew McQualter, who believes it is a chance for the team to showcase their potential on a bigger stage.

Since the start of 2022, the Eagles have struggled, managing only 13 wins over the past four-and-a-half years. Despite this, they have shown moments of brilliance, including stirring comeback victories against North Melbourne and Port Adelaide earlier in the season. However, this success was short-lived, as the team has since fallen into a six-match losing streak.

The decision to schedule West Coast for two Friday night games came as a surprise to many. The first match will see them host Adelaide at Optus Stadium on July 3, as part of a double-header that also includes Sydney playing the Bulldogs at the SCG. In round 20, the Eagles will face off against their arch-rivals Fremantle in what will be just the second-ever Friday night western derby.

McQualter sees this as a positive development for the club, especially given the young and inexperienced nature of the team. “It’s awesome for our footy club, awesome for our guys to play in that time slot because that’s when the most eyes are watching,” he said. “It’s a brilliant opportunity. Our responsibility is to come up and compete and perform when we get that chance.”

He also highlighted the importance of preparing for these high-profile games. “A lot of our young guys might not have played in many night games, so it’ll be a bit different preparation, but that’s where a lot of finals are played, lots of those big games. To get a taste of it would be great.”

Preparations for the Upcoming Matches

Looking ahead, West Coast (2-7) will aim to break their losing streak when they host GWS (4-5) on Sunday. The Eagles have made some changes to their lineup, with Rhett Bazzo called up for his first game of the season. He will replace key backman Harry Edwards, who is expected to miss several weeks due to a third concussion of the year.

In the forward line, Jack Williams will make his second appearance of the season, stepping in for No.4 draft pick Cooper Duff-Tytler, who has been rested. This move is aimed at giving younger players more opportunities to gain experience.

GWS will again be without Jesse Hogan, a key forward who had a strong performance against West Coast in round four last year, kicking 9.0 goals. McQualter expressed relief at this development. “You never wish for good players not to play against you, but I was quite pleased when he wasn’t named,” he said.

However, he acknowledged that GWS still pose a threat. “But in saying that, (Aaron) Cadman’s in great form, (Jake) Stringer’s in great form. They’ve got some real threats still down there, so they’re not lacking for talent.”

Tinggalkan Balasan

Alamat email Anda tidak akan dipublikasikan. Ruas yang wajib ditandai *