Coaching Decisions and the Path Forward
Queensland’s coach, Nathan Cross, has stood by his decision to include young talent in the Maroons’ squad for the Women’s State of Origin series, even after suffering two consecutive losses. Despite a valiant effort from the team, the Blues managed to secure their lead through the experience of seasoned players like Jess Sergis, Olivia Kernick, and Isabelle Kelly.
The latest match saw Queensland fall 14-10, with winger Jasmine Peters denied scoring twice due to remarkable try-saving tackles from Jesse Southwell and Teagan Berry. The game was filled with dramatic moments that highlighted the intensity of the competition.
Cross addressed the inclusion of younger players in his squad and reaffirmed his commitment to backing them, regardless of their age. “As a coach, I’ve shown that with my time at the Dragons and now in Origin that I’m not afraid of people’s ages,” he said. “I’m prepared to back young players if I feel like they’re the best people to wear the jersey.”
He emphasized that the teams selected have earned their spots and expressed pride in the development of the young players. “I’ll continue to do that and I know I’ve got the support of Meeks [captain Tamika Upton] around that. I’m really proud of how the young girls have come along.”
Upton shared her coach’s sentiment, encouraging the younger players to remain confident despite the loss. “They’re outstanding on this stage to be in some of the first games of the year and come out and do what they did against a pretty established side,” she said. “So, it’s on us as leaders to wear the final result but I just want those young girls in our team to have all the confidence in the world.”

The decision to bring in younger players was partly driven by circumstances, including an ACL injury to five-eighth Tarryn Aiken and the retirement of long-time skipper Ali Brigginshaw. Chantay Kiria-Ratu and Ivana Lolesio made their debut in the series opener, while young centre Rory Owen has already proven himself after getting a taste of Origin last year.
Despite the setbacks, Cross was clear about the issues that affected the team’s performance. “Errors killed us tonight,” he said. “We were 16 errors, 57 per cent completion. You just can’t win games of footy like that.”

Looking ahead, Queensland aims to avoid a series whitewash when they head to the Gold Coast for State of Origin III on May 28. The team will need to address their mistakes and build on the experience gained from the first two games.
As the series continues, the focus remains on the development of young talent and the lessons learned from each match. With strong leadership and a commitment to growth, the Maroons are determined to make a comeback in the upcoming games.






