Nathan Cleary’s Future and the Impact of His Father’s Decision
Nathan Cleary has made it clear that his father Ivan’s upcoming departure from Penrith will not influence his decision on whether to stay with the NRL team beyond 2027. The younger Cleary emphasized that he is not planning to make any decisions about his playing future for at least another six to eight weeks, as he focuses on the upcoming State of Origin series.
As one of the most highly regarded players in the NRL, Cleary could command a significant salary if he were to test the open market for the first time in his career. This opportunity comes with several enticing prospects, including a tax-free windfall and a potential reunion with former Panthers five-eighth Jarome Luai, who is set to join the PNG Chiefs in 2028.

Despite the recent announcement by his father that he would step down from his coaching role at Penrith after the 2027 season, Nathan has been more focused on supporting his father than on his own future. “It’s something dad’s been holding onto for a little while now. I’m happy and I’m proud of him,” Cleary said.
Since the shocking news, speculation has turned to the group of Panthers players who are uncontracted beyond 2027 and could potentially follow their coach out of the club. At Brisbane Airport on Saturday night, the younger Cleary joked with his father that he was responsible for the media attention that gathered for Penrith’s arrival at baggage claim.

“This is because of you,” he laughed as his coach walked out of frame.
Among the stars who could negotiate with NRL rivals for the 2028 season from November are Isaah Yeo, Blaize Talagi, Mitch Kenny, Brian To’o, and Liam Martin. Cleary previously stated that he is not in a rush to make a decision on his future and that his father’s exit plan would not make him less likely to re-sign with Penrith.
“It doesn’t change my position,” he said. “I’m still not ready to make that decision yet and that won’t change over the next six-to-eight-week period. It’s pretty hectic as it is. It’s obviously been big news, but it hasn’t changed my position. I can guarantee nothing will happen over the next little period.”
Cleary believes that the decision to appoint Peter Wallace as his father’s successor could help convince the off-contract stars to stay with the Panthers. A former NSW Origin representative, Wallace began and ended his career with Penrith and has been part of the coaching staff since 2023.

“Everyone’s so happy for him to be the one stepping into the role,” Nathan Cleary said. “If that position was now vacant and no one knew who was going to be taking over, I think it makes it a lot harder (to convince players to stay). The fact that he’s the one coming in, it probably makes it an easier decision for people.”
Cleary personally has no issues playing under Wallace, who was involved in his NRL debut during the 2016 season. “He was someone that honestly I looked up to,” Cleary said. “The way he played the game, the toughness and all that, he’s someone that I have the utmost respect for.”






