News  

Israeli Strikes Kill Seven in Beirut as War Ends

Escalation of Conflict in Lebanon

At least seven people were killed in two separate strikes on Lebanon’s capital, Beirut, early on Wednesday. The Lebanese health ministry confirmed the casualties, highlighting the growing violence in the region.

In the Jnah area of south Beirut, an Israeli air raid resulted in at least five deaths and 21 injuries. A Lebanese security source reported that four parked cars were hit during the attack. Another strike targeted a vehicle in Khaldeh, just south of the capital, killing two people and injuring three others, according to the health ministry.

The Israeli military claimed it had struck a “senior Hezbollah commander” and another member of the group in two separate strikes within the Beirut area. However, they did not provide details about the specific locations or the identities of the targets.

Continued Violence in Southern Lebanon

In addition to the attacks in Beirut, more Israeli strikes hit southern Lebanon, where fierce clashes with Hezbollah fighters continue. The militant group has claimed rocket fire targeting a group of soldiers near the border.

According to the ministry of health, the strikes in the South have resulted in at least eight deaths, including one paramedic, and over 30 injuries. Israeli media reported that a barrage of more than 40 rockets was fired by Hezbollah, which also claimed multiple attacks on northern Israel in successive statements late Tuesday.

Lebanon became involved in the Middle East war on March 2 when Tehran-backed militant group Hezbollah launched attacks on Israel to avenge the killing of Iran’s leader, Ayatollah Ali Khamenei.

Israel’s Plans for Occupation

Israeli Defence Minister Israel Katz announced that his country intends to occupy large parts of southern Lebanon, using strong language that reflects a significant shift in policy. He stated that “at the end of the operation, the IDF (military) will establish itself in a security zone inside Lebanon… and will maintain security control over the entire area up to the Litani River.”

Katz added that the return of hundreds of thousands of displaced Lebanese would be “completely prevented” until northern Israel’s security is ensured. He also mentioned that all the houses in the villages adjacent to the border in Lebanon will be demolished to eliminate threats from the residents of the north.

Lebanese Defence Minister Michel Menassa condemned these comments, calling them a “deepening of the aggression” against his country. He argued that Katz’s remarks reflect a clear intention to impose a new occupation of Lebanese territory, forcibly displace citizens, and destroy villages and towns in the South.

Canada’s Prime Minister Mark Carney denounced Israel’s deployment of troops against Hezbollah targets in Lebanon as an “illegal invasion” that violates its “integrity and sovereignty.”

Blame Shifted to Hezbollah for UN Peacekeeper Deaths

UN Ambassador Danny Danon stated that Israel blames Hezbollah for all three recent peacekeeper deaths in southern Lebanon. He cited explosive devices near Bani Ayan and the shelling of a UN peacekeeper position. However, no evidence was provided, and a UN spokesman mentioned that the investigation is ongoing.

Late on Tuesday, Israel’s military said its troops were not present in the southern Lebanon area where an explosion killed two UNIFIL peacekeepers on Monday. They also stated that no explosive device had been placed in the area by Israeli soldiers.

A UN security source told AFP that Israeli fire had killed an Indonesian peacekeeper at the weekend. The source noted that debris from a tank round was recovered at the site. On Sunday evening, a projectile of unknown origin exploded in a UNIFIL position near Adchit al Qusayr, resulting in the death of a peacekeeper.

On Monday, another “explosion of unknown origin” destroyed a peacekeeping vehicle, killing two more Indonesian troops. An investigation into this incident is ongoing, with the source suggesting the explosion may have originated from a mine.

Tinggalkan Balasan

Alamat email Anda tidak akan dipublikasikan. Ruas yang wajib ditandai *