Queensland Maroons Face Concerns Ahead of Origin Series
Maroons fans could have cause for concern after fullback Kalyn Ponga was seen with heavy strapping on his right hamstring during Wednesday’s first Origin session in the Queensland camp. The injury has raised questions about his availability for the upcoming series, especially given the importance of his role in the team.
In addition to Ponga’s injury, centre Robert Toia was restricted to light duties as he works through the NRL’s concussion protocols. He will need to undergo further testing before being cleared to play in Game 1, which is set to take place in Sydney on May 27. This adds another layer of uncertainty for the Maroons, who are already dealing with a number of key players facing fitness challenges.
Another player who missed out on the training session was Queensland 20th man Kulikefu Finefeuiaki. He was released to play for the Dolphins on Thursday night, and the Redcliffe-based side will face Canberra in the opening NRL game of Round 12. Finefeuiaki is expected to rejoin the Maroons camp on Friday or over the weekend, but his absence from the initial session has left some questions about his readiness for the Origin series.
The Maroons had to move their training sessions from their Twin Waters hotel base to Sunshine Coast Stadium due to heavy rain that has affected southeast Queensland. Media were only given around 15 minutes of access to the Queensland camp, but an open session is planned for Sunday, which is expected to draw thousands of fans.
One of the most notable aspects of the training session was Ponga’s heavily strapped right leg, following recent hamstring issues for the superstar No.1. Earlier this season, Ponga was sidelined for six weeks due to a hamstring complaint, but he has been in excellent form for Newcastle since returning in Round 9. Despite the injury concerns, Ponga was seen moving freely at the Maroons camp, which is positive news for fans.
Kalyn Ponga moving freely despite heaving strapping
Ponga has been restricted to a lighter training schedule for the Knights, but his performance at the Maroons camp suggests he is on the road to recovery. He was also seen spending plenty of one-on-one time with coach Billy Slater, likely discussing tactics and positional play with the legendary former No.1.
Ponga edged out Reece Walsh in the battle to be named Queensland fullback, despite emerging as a possible halves candidate in Slater’s side. The Newcastle captain said he would have been happy to play wherever the Maroons needed him, but was glad it ended up being in his preferred position.

“I got asked a few times about where I want to play and my answer was always as a competitor, obviously as a fullback, I want to be in my position,” Ponga said. “So for Billy to have that faith in me, it means a lot.
“I know what I’m like, if that [playing halfback] was the challenge that was ahead of me, I would have tuned in and got my head on and focused on it and prepared it as best as I can. But I don’t have to worry about that now, so I can nail my role and prepare the best I can in my role.”
Robert Toia Working Through Concussion Protocols
Meanwhile, the Maroons are confident that Robert Toia will come through the concussion protocols and be cleared to play in Game 1. Toia sat out Wednesday’s contact sessions after sustaining a category two head knock during the game against the Cowboys last week. However, the team remains optimistic about his chances of making it back in time for the Origin opener.
“He (Toia) is a good kid, he’s quiet, but when it comes to work and training, he’s switched on and he’s so professional with the way he goes,” said Hamiso Tabuai-Fidow, speaking to News Corp about his fellow Queensland centre. “He’s had a couple of injuries and he’s learnt from that and he’s just a good kid to have around.”






